Down South Liverpool Business Club member Maxwell Hodge Solicitors provide litigation advice

By Pamela Lacey

I have a Judgment – How can I get my money back?

This is a question that our clients are always worried about when they are owed money by a third party (the Defendant). They may have tried to get their money back by asking both verbally and in writing, yet nothing has been received. They may come to a Solicitor for advice and to take the worry off their shoulders. A letter before action can be sent and sometimes this is all it takes to start discussing payment. However, there are those circumstances whereby we have to continue with a claim and issue Court Proceedings on our client’s behalf. So what happens next?

Having issued Court Proceedings, should the Defendant/Debtor not acknowledge or respond to the Court issued papers, we can then request Judgment by default.

Should the Court agree, this essentially means that you have won the claim. The Court Order Judgment for the Claimant in the sum requested will be sent to ourselves, together with a copy of the Order being sent to the Defendant.

Then what? The Order may state that the Defendant will have one month from the date of the Order to repay the Claimant in full, including costs awarded. If the Defendant does not pay the Judgment, then the Claimant is free to pursue enforcing the Order.

What can you do to enforce the Order?

There are several different methods of enforcement. The Claimant can look at High Court Enforcement Agents (who are very efficient with recoveries), there is the possibility of an Attachment of Earnings, which would require knowing where the Defendant is employed for the Courts to proceed with the application, the Claimant can proceed with Bankruptcy proceedings or Winding up Petitions. Another favourable enforcement procedure is obtaining a Charging Order on the Defendant’s property or land (if they have this asset), which can give the Claimant the sense of security knowing that once a property and/or land is sold, the Claimant will be paid. It should also be mentioned that with a Charging Order, the relevant searches may reveal that the Defendant has other creditors listed and connected to the property and/or land, therefore the Claimant would be added as a further secured creditor, if this was the case. If there were no other creditors listed, the Claimant would be paid as being first on the list once the property was sold. If a Charging Order is obtained, often an Order for Sale can be requested to order the property be sold.

As can be seen, there are different methods in which to help the client and for which we have continued to advise our clients at the start of a claim. All have pros and cons and much will depend on your debtor’s financial situation as to which method may be most effective.

Our Debt Recovery Department has extensive experience dealing with enforcement and are always on hand to help.

The photograph shows Pamela Lacey from the Litigation Team at Maxwell Hodge Solicitors



Maxwell Hodge Solicitors shortlisted in Law Society Awards

Maxwell Hodge Solicitors shortlisted in Law Society Awards

Maxwell Hodge Solicitors are delighted to announce that they have been shortlisted for the Law Society “Excellence in Pro Bono” award for work in the community. Access to justice is a vital part of society and of the role that lawyers play. As a business, Maxwell...

read more


Dates of our Networking Events in 2020

Dates of our Networking Events in 2020

Be sure you won't miss out on one of our Networking Events this year by adding the dates to your calendar now. They all take place on Wednesdays from 9.00am - 11.00am on: 29th January - Complete! 25th March - Cancelled 20th May 8th July 23rd September 25th November...

read more